3 Days. 3 things to know about Wink, Texas.
1) As of 2014, Wink’s population is 951. Since the year 2000, Wink has seen a population growth of 1.60% The median home cost in Wink is $39,500.
2) In June 1980, a giant sinkhole formed in Wink. In May 2002, a second sinkhole opened up about a mile from the first. The sinkholes are called Wink Sink #1 and Wink Sink #2. Number 2 is much larger and measures in places, 900 feet wide or three football fields!
3) Singer Roy Orbison spent part of his childhood in Wink. The town is home to a Roy Orbison museum.
4 days. 4th paragraph & more, 4th chapter
Although the air in the volunteer center was nice and cool, I drew in a breath and held it when I entered. The smell of ammonia was so strong I could taste it. A heavyset woman in flowered scrubs was leading a young woman with more challenges than anyone deserved to the restroom. The woman in scrubs eyed me suspiciously.
“I’m looking for Rhonda Walker. I’m her brother,” I said, hoping to put the woman’s mind at ease.
“Oh—so you’re Gypsy!” She smiled broadly. “Rhonda never mentioned how handsome you were.”
I winked at the woman. “You remind her for me.”
5 Days. 5 women.
1) Claire Kinley – junior high & high school sweetheart, only woman Gypsy ever considered marrying.
I reached out, grabbed her, and pulled her to me. Her warm tears rolled down my bare chest. I lifted her chin and gently kissed away each tear, wishing to God I could stop loving her.
2) Sophia Ortez – smokin’ hot reporter helping Gypsy with his investigation.
That wasn’t part of the deal, Gypsy. I don’t tell you how to run your investigation and you don’t tell me what to write. That was the deal.
3) Rhonda Walker – Gypsy’s younger sister.
Gypsy—why is everything you own packed in boxes? And why are those boxes in my front yard?
4) Angie Moran – Gypsy’s mother.
Oh my God. My mother was going to prostitute herself to pay my hospital bill.
5) Gram – Gypsy’s grandmother.
Nothing like discussing your private parts with your eighty-year-old grandmother over morning coffee.
7 days. 7 Famous Gypsy Quotes and Thoughts.
1) I didn’t care if the kid lived with a tribe of pygmies. I had my own problems.
2) Johnnie Walker. Black. I’m a picky drinker.
3) Hail Mary, full of grace…blah blah blah…Jesus Christ, why couldn’t I remember that simple prayer?
4) I stared at the number scribbled in the palm of my hand, thinking of a thousand reasons not to call. And a thousand and one why I should.
5) I wasn’t used to looking like a geek.
6) Not that I could do anything with my hands still cuffed behind my back; it was the psychology of knowing what was coming.
7) There were so many bells and whistles, I didn’t know if I was having an orgasm or if I’d won the grand prize at the county fair.
8 days to go. Short excerpt from Chapter 8:
I sat down on the edge of the bed wondering how I was going to explain this. The less she knew, the better. For her own sake. “I needed to get out of town for a little while.”
Her shoulders dropped and she blew a deep breath. “Oh God, Gypsy. What did you do?” She plopped down beside me on the bed.
“Nothing illegal. You’re not harboring a fugitive or anything so you don’t have to worry about that.”
“About that? What do I need to worry about?”
I looked at her for a moment, then stared at the boxes that held my life. “I’d never put you in the line of fire. You should know that. I’m the big brother, remember?”
“So, in other words, you can’t tell me why you’re here, who you’re obviously running from, or why they won’t track you down to my house. Great, just freaking great.” She leapt up and started out of the room.
“Rhonda—just trust me on this, okay? I’ll tell you the whole sordid story when the time’s right.”
She stood in the doorway with her back to me and slowly nodded. “You keep way too many secrets, Gypsy.”
9 days. 9 characters you’ll come to know:
1) Private Investigator Michael “Gypsy” Moran
2) Tatum McCallen – Gypsy’s pain in the butt sidekick
3) Burke McCallen – Gypsy’s pain in the butt sidekick’s grandfather
4) Rhonda Walker – Gypsy’s younger sister
5) Rodney Walker – Gypsy’s brother-in-law
6) Angie Moran – Gypsy’s mom
7) Gram – Gypsy’s pain in the butt grandmother
8) Sophia Ortez – smokin’ hot reporter
9) Claire Kinley – Gypsy’s pain in the butt old flame