4 days. 4th paragraph & more, 4th chapter
Although the air in the volunteer center was nice and cool, I drew in a breath and held it when I entered. The smell of ammonia was so strong I could taste it. A heavyset woman in flowered scrubs was leading a young woman with more challenges than anyone deserved to the restroom. The woman in scrubs eyed me suspiciously.
“I’m looking for Rhonda Walker. I’m her brother,” I said, hoping to put the woman’s mind at ease.
“Oh—so you’re Gypsy!” She smiled broadly. “Rhonda never mentioned how handsome you were.”
I winked at the woman. “You remind her for me.”
1) I didn’t care if the kid lived with a tribe of pygmies. I had my own problems.
2) Johnnie Walker. Black. I’m a picky drinker.
3) Hail Mary, full of grace…blah blah blah…Jesus Christ, why couldn’t I remember that simple prayer?
4) I stared at the number scribbled in the palm of my hand, thinking of a thousand reasons not to call. And a thousand and one why I should.
5) I wasn’t used to looking like a geek.
6) Not that I could do anything with my hands still cuffed behind my back; it was the psychology of knowing what was coming.
7) There were so many bells and whistles, I didn’t know if I was having an orgasm or if I’d won the grand prize at the county fair.
9 days. 9 characters you’ll come to know:
1) Private Investigator Michael “Gypsy” Moran
2) Tatum McCallen – Gypsy’s pain in the butt sidekick
3) Burke McCallen – Gypsy’s pain in the butt sidekick’s grandfather
4) Rhonda Walker – Gypsy’s younger sister
5) Rodney Walker – Gypsy’s brother-in-law
6) Angie Moran – Gypsy’s mom
7) Gram – Gypsy’s pain in the butt grandmother
8) Sophia Ortez – smokin’ hot reporter
9) Claire Kinley – Gypsy’s pain in the butt old flame